I’m going to be as frank with you as I am with all our customers and potential customers as they buy HR Software.
There are 100s, if not 1000s of HR solutions on the market. As much as we’re confident ours is the perfect, robust, supportive solution for most growing companies, you really ought to just buy the first cloud vendor that meets your needs and fits your budget. Sound radical? But it’s not really.
Otherwise, in all honesty, by shopping around too much, talking to reps and running tonnes of trials, you’re wasting all the time and money you’re trying to save …
When You Buy HR Software:
- You’re probably going to spend too much time scoping it out
- You’re probably going to get lots of stuff (functionality and features) that you don’t need or will never use. Often just because of the one thing you’re really prioritising from a solution that’s buried somewhere in a suite of features you don’t either want or need.
- It’s probably going to take 9-12 months to scope out, set up and rollout (at least)
- You’re probably going to pay way over the top and will seriously dent your potential ROI
- By the time you’re eventually nearly reaching ROI, the peculiar features you wanted might be ‘out-of-date’ and a new player will already be on the landscape – but likely not offering everything else you wanted. Back to square one …
Focus on Features – and their Benefits to You
You basically need to setup a small matrix listing exactly and only what you need. Itemise your ‘must have’ features, ‘would like’ functionality and itemise other vital factors such as ISO compliance, data security standards and so on.
And then leave space for notes on what you can glean from various suppliers’ websites and conversations you have with them about backup and support and other ‘extras’ as part of the service. (HRLocker give first-call HR support for example).
Then score them and rank them. And be strict and pick – or trial – only the solutions offering what you need.
Please don’t make the mistake that most make and go looking for a HR system to solve what are perceived as ‘HR problems’.
There are no such thing as HR Problems! There are however, business issues that get in the way of making people more productive at what they do.
Why not look at the business problems that you need to solve? If time spent managing your workforce is one of the business issues that can be more efficient, then streamline it with HR software. Find all ways possible where you can solve these types of problems through automation, smoother systems, workflows and procedures.
And, if they work, then – and only then – roll them out organisation-wide. This approach is way less financially risky. Plus, trust me, it just works.
Make it Easy
In this regard I totally agree with Catrinel Bartolomeu’s take on efficiency and Hlades law, which states that:
“If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person – they will find an easier way to do it.”
A lazy person will do exactly (and no more than) what we recommend. And they will likely make the best decision.
- Holiday and Absence Management
- Timesheet and Project Management hours tracking
- Employee Data Management and reporting
- Employee self management / self service
- Document Management: Electronic digital signatures. Check who’s signed and read vital files
- Training and Certification Management, including reminders (CPD)
- Performance reviews management and alerts (PMS / EPE)
- Recruitment selection, applicant tracking and automated on-boarding
HRLOCKER 14-DAY FREE TRIAL
(No credit card required)
Share this Post