Employee self-service software in HR? What are we asking them to do on our behalves?
Nanny state control companies are a thing of the past and are thankfully fading quickly. Imagine a company where you gave employees control – control of their job, control of their careers and control of their destiny:
If you give your employees ownership they will respond with productivity.
Employee self-service using HR software gives more control to your employees and lessens the admin burden that is often put on Finance and the HR department.
This allows People Managers and HR professionals to concentrate on the things that matter, like employee engagement and talent management.
It is undeniable that if you hire well and you allow employees to self manage with good direction and leverage a robust employee self service system, the good ones will stay with you longer.
Self service HR software systems give employees the responsibility to:
• Keep their personal details and address up to date.
• Go on training without waiting for their employer to suggest a course of action.
• Have immediate online access to all their contracts and documents since they joined the Company.
• Set their own objectives and have their manager agree them.
• Be automatically notified of a review date and time.
When companies are forced to micro manage employees, this is grossly underproductive for both management and employees.
The result of a controlled employee management approach is:
- Reduction of creativity and ideas coming from the employees as they have to follow the manual at all times.
- The talented ambitious and creative will get frustrated and leave or worse stay and become disruptive.
- A control environment breeds a negative, non-collaborative culture, where people become more concerned for their jobs and less concerned for the company.
- Control companies can become successful, (Kodak, Nokia, Blackberry) but they don’t remain there. They eventually become stale and outdated, because they’re less flexible and less likely to stay ahead of the curve. (On the flip side, Virgin even have a ‘take as much leave as you like’ policy.)
- Employees that work in control companies mostly work hours and not for careers.
It is our job as progressive employers to select the people who enjoy what they do and ensure that they continue to enjoy their role through constant improvement and by keeping up with the latest trends.
One thing’s for sure, if employers become stale, it’s only a matter of time before their employees become stale themselves.
Responsibility, creativity, change and flexibility nurtures fun, productivity and success.
HRLOCKER 14-DAY FREE TRIAL
(No credit card required)
Prefer to chat first? BOOK A CALL
Image via manageengine
Share this Post